pspp-users

Re: Noob needs help with simple script

From: David Spaugh
Subject: Re: Noob needs help with simple script
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 08:39:22 -0700

Wow - thanks!

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/ahcd_questionnaires.htm

Scroll down to Public-use Data Files / Downloadable Data Files.
Click the link for NAMCS, 1993-2008.
Choose NAMCS08.exe.
This downloads a 2.2MB zip file to your drive, which extracts to a 27MB data file.  That's the file I'm working with.

FYI, FWIW, etc:  If you surf the links for related documentation, you'll see that gov actually provided an SPSS script for file import for a few data-sets from 2006 and earlier.  That was actually my personal discovery point for PSPP, leading to my attempt to create a simple script for the 2008 data file, and to this email.  My goal is much simpler than the "segregate and label" functions provided by the huge gov script.  I only need to import the data into a usable PSPP "spreadsheet" to sort & determine the number of 382.x diagnoses, and then what proportion of those were accompanied by a certain prescription drug code.  I'll then adapt & apply the same script to multiple prior years and to evaluate trends in antibiotic drug consumption for that diagnosis.

Anyway - thanks very much.  The PSPP app & community is impressive even to an amateur such as myself.

DS