pspp-users

Re: AW: Import / Export Functions and other features missing for academi

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: AW: Import / Export Functions and other features missing for academic and office use in urban planning
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:25:49 -0700

"Roman Seidl" <address@hidden> writes:

> Somehow no new window was opened when opening a file in 0.7.7 on
> windows. I could not find anything about this in the 0.7.8 release
> notes. Is it only in git for now that this changed?

Yes, this is only in Git for now, and in the latest nightly build:
        http://benpfaff.org/~blp/pspp-master/20110510030502/

> I was actually thinking about ODS, XLS or DBF as a means to import and
> export the current dataset.

That's right.  Michel Boaventura is working on import from XLS.
Import from Gnumeric spreadsheets should already work.

I don't know of anyone actively working on import from ODS.

I didn't realize that DBF was still in active use.  I thought
that dBase had died sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.  But
support would be useful to you?  That is good to know.

> The only way to get Data out of PSPP for now seems to be exporting to a
> text file which is a quite tedious job as the docs seem to be rather bad
> and there is no such thing as a wizard.

It's true that no one has integrated it into the GUI yet.

What problems do you see with the documentation?  Perhaps we can
improve it.

> P.S: Wikipedia claims that "PSPP can import Gnumeric, OpenDocument and
> Excel spreadsheets, Postgres databases, comma-separated values- and
> ASCII-files." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSPP, last modified on 30
> January 2011 at 04:03) Anybody know why Excel is mentioned here? I also
> didn't find how to import ods in the 0.7.7 docs.

I don't know why Excel is mentioned here.  (You could always fix
it.)

> P.P.S: The first download-link for windows on the PSPP home-page is
> quite misleading as the development version offered there is far from
> being up to date (0.7.5).

I see that the second link has a newer version.  Would anyone on
this list mind if I interchanged the order here?

Thanks,

Ben.
--
Ben Pfaff