pspp-users

Re: howto importing sorted variables into existing file

From: Antje Haussen Lewis
Subject: Re: howto importing sorted variables into existing file
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 16:49:42 +0100

Thanks, that did the trick!
For future reference for anyone with the same problem, for whom copy/paste attempts are as big of a disaster as they were for me, here's a step-by-step.

Instructions:

Open a new, empty file and then open a new syntax window and type in (of course using your own file names and variable names instead):
-------------------------
MATCH FILES
    /FILE='D:\basis.sav'
    /IN=z_id_basis
    /SORT
    /file='D:\reasons.sav'
    /IN=z_id_reasons
    /SORT
    /BY z_id.
Then click Run/All from the syntax window's menu bar.
Then save the new file and basta, you have combined all your variables.

Explanation:

In 'basis.sav' there are ten variables, all from my first survey, one of them being z_id. In 'reasons.sav', the second, follow-up survey, there were another dozen variables, including again the same variable z_id (basically a customer number). So, the above syntax just said:
"Merge the two files 'basis.sav' and 'reasons.sav', being sure to sort each by ID first. Go through them case by case and make a new file out of their union. Where they each have a row with a particular ID, make a row in the new file with all the variables from both files filled in; and where an ID exists only in the first but not the second file (e.g., no response to the follow-up), make a case with that ID anyhow but leave the variables from the second file as missing values. While you're at it add two new variables 'z_id_basis' and 'z_id_reasons', and define them as '1' if their source file's information contributed to the new row, so you can check nothing got left out."

-ahl

-------- Original-Nachricht --------