pspp-users

Newbie question: How to get readable text or postscript output...at leas

From: Joe_K
Subject: Newbie question: How to get readable text or postscript output...at least get output that does not truncate Variable Labels at 12 characters
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:48:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

These are newbie questions.

1)  I want to have readable output.  I cannot understand how to get the
postscript driver to work.  I followed the manual for several hours trying
to put it into the configuration file.  Nothing worked.

Either there is a bug or I do not understand the syntax --  probably the
latter.  Can some one send me a version of the "describe" configuration
file, which has the actual syntax for postscript output in it?  I work much
better with syntax examples.

2) Another question of readable output.  Short of getting readable
postscript output, I would like readable text output.  I have a very large
data set with many variables.  I want to print out a data dictionary, so I
used the following syntax:

SYSFILE INFO FILE='/home/mydirectory/myfile.sav'.

This spits out output, which truncates the label after about a dozen
characters.  It is unusable for my purposes because I want to actually print
out the dictionary listing of variable, variable type, and label
description, so that I know what the variable field really is.

I tried the SET command to increase the width, but that did not work.  Also,
I do not understand why some of the header information in the SYSFILE INFO
output is wider (more characters) than the actual data dictionary table.
Hence, I suspect even if I had the correct SET /WIDTH=160 syntax, it would
not solve my problem because this does not set the width of the table or the
length of the Variable Labels.  SPSS truncates these labels at 60 characters
in its output and this is really annoying.  PSPP could outdue SPSS by
exceeding this limit, instead of setting it to something like 12 useless
characters.

Can anyone explain how to get readable text output?  Is there a setting to
expand the number of characters of the Variable Label that is reported?  Is
there a way of setting the width of the tables in text output?

Thanks,

Joe Kirchner