pspp-users

Re: Sample dataset

From: Gene Shackman
Subject: Re: Sample dataset
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

You could use GSS, as it is popular and students will probably be well to know of it.  However, there is also plenty of public domain data on the web, a lot from the US government.  I've compiled a bunch of it here

http://gsociology.icaap.org/dataupload..html

Some examples are

PD-Data   http://gsociology.icaap.org/data/PD-Data.xls   population infant mortality and life expectancy by country from US Census International Data Base, 1980-2000.

PD-Data2   http://gsociology.icaap.org/data/PD-Data2.xls   world factbook (migration, infant mortality, gdp per capita, literacy, population, phone lines and per capita), International database (infant mortality), USDA data (food expenditure as percent of total expenditures, percent of food expenditure by type of food).

USDA GDP data    http://gsociology.icaap.org/data/ersallcombine.xls   GDP and GDP per capita, population, by world region and countries, 1970 to 2007.
Updated version (to 2008) is here   http://gsociology.icaap.org/data/popgdpgdppercapita.xls
All are public domain, which means you can do anything you want with them, without having to ask anyone for permission.  You can use them to teach, do research, publish.

Hope you find these useful.

Gene

Gene Shackman, Ph.D.
The Global Social Change Research Project
http://gsociology.icaap.org
Free Resources for Methods in Evaluation and Social Research
http://gsociology.icaap.org/methods
Applied Sociologist