pspp-users

Binomial test using a single value

From: James BRANFORD
Subject: Binomial test using a single value
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:32:17 +1100

May I please have clarification of the correct syntax to type to conduct a Binomial test using a single value?

I note that the PSPP manual (page 99 of the pdf version) states:

"If a single value appears after the variable list, then that value is used as the threshold to partition the observed values. Values less than or equal to the threshold value form the first category. Values greater than the threshold form the second category."

This is exactly the outcome I would like to achieve.

My attempts to conduct a single value Binomial test resulted in the following response from PSPP:

C:\msys\1.0\bin>pspp -B c:\msys\1.0\bin -o raw-ascii
PSPP is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; type "show copying." to see the conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for PSPP; type "show warranty." for details.
GNU pspp 0.6.1 (Sat Oct  4 18:52:01 GMT 2008).
PSPP> import file what_analysis.sav

PSPP> npar tests
    > /binomial (0.71)=marital (1)
error: NPAR TESTS: Syntax error expecting `,' at `)'.
error: NPAR TESTS: Syntax error at `)'.
PSPP> npar tests
    > /binomial (0.71)=marital 1
error: NPAR TESTS: Syntax error expecting end of command at `1'.
PSPP>

I obtained the above result both with PSPP 0.6.1 running under Windows XP and using PSPP 0.7.0 on the PSPPIX Live-CD developed by Prof. Jason Stover.

I have attached a copy of the what_analysis.sav datafile, which contains entirely fictitious data (no personal information).

Might it be possible to have a worked example of the correct procedure for conducting a Binomial test using a single value?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Yours sincerely

James Branford
Student
Swinburne University of Technology