pspp-users

Re: Value labels or names in dialogs ?

From: ErikF
Subject: Re: Value labels or names in dialogs ?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

In future versions, would people prefer to see names or labels?

I personally lean toward names over labels here. This is a mildly annoying
feature I first noticed in spss. If you don't tend toward giving meaningful
names to variables I suppose the switch to names from labels could be
problematic, but otherwise it's nice to select from variable names and have
the same name confirmed in the dialog box. Labels have a way of being too
long to fit in small dialog boxes meaningfully, and one can always back up
and have a look at the label in the data itself.

Erik Frebold