pspp-users

RE: pspp setup

From: Scott Bryan
Subject: RE: pspp setup
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:05:39 -0000

I've just installed PSPP. The actual installation is pretty straight
forward. No worries there.

As a life long user of SPSS, I can say that PSPP works in a pinch, but
the promise is quickly let down by all the things that it doesn't do.

I like to use nonparametric stats - no dice.
I like to do correlations - again, no dice (it should do this, but my
version just crashes)
I like to have output directed to files - sort of, but rather tricky

There are also compatibility issues with SPSS. You can't just go from
system to system.

I believe that there are different versions out there, none as far as I
can tell work reliably across a range of stats.

I despise SPSS's license fees and will do anything to avoid them. Maybe
someday.

I suggest using the SPSS version. When the license runs out, try PSPP.
Who knows it might do what you need. I would not however, rely on it to
teach stats to a marketing class.