pspp-users

Re: pspp in opensuse's build service

From: unknown-1
Subject: Re: pspp in opensuse's build service
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:55:54 +0100

Hi

Nice to see there is a openSUSE rpm for PSPP yet.

I installed it on my system which had already a newer snapshot build on it before this installation.

What I see:
- surprice, but the build thinks "postgresql-libs" needs to be installed. I guess that is wrong. I never needed it before.
- the binary is place in "/usr/bin". The pspp scripts install it in "/usr/local/bin" by default.
- I see no changes in  the file "/etc/ld.so.conf". I guess you need that? Or found another way to find the libraries?
- I didn't find libpsppire.so en libpsppirewidgets.so You don't need them? (This PC has this .so on several places so I don't know what realy happend.)

I also installed it on a system without PSPP. What I see from the required packages, this seems to me bit to much. I haven't tested them. But I guess installing PSPP by hand on a clean PC and after that install it  with a rpm might give some nod needed packages.

However, with a fresh install PSPPIRE starts, but as soon as you try to do some analyses etc. it crashes. This is "normal" when libpsppire.so and libpsppirewidgets.so is not found. And I don't find them either. This seems to be a problem.

Besides I would give the users an idea what to do when the program is started. Not everybody will find out (s)he has to start /usr/bin/psppire after installing pspp.  The comments on the screen which can be seen before the rpm starts installing can be a good place for it.

Just mail me when a new version is available (or info is needed) I am happy to test again. Although it could take a few days before I find the time.

Have fun