pspp-users

Re: PSPP Windows - Recode Multiple Variables ?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP Windows - Recode Multiple Variables ?
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:33:04 +0800

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:35:53AM -0400, Andy Choens wrote:

     What I wrote should work on the windows version too. I'm not real sure
     how (if) you can use the GUI to actually recode multiple variables into
     one. Although the GUI is fairly powerful, I'm not sure that capacity
     exists yet. (Others here may correct me. In all honesty, I don't even
     know how to do this on SPSS through the GUI.)<br>

If you want to do this with a fully point-and-click operation, you can
do the following:

Open the compute dialog box by selecting Transform->Compute.

In the "Target Variable" box, type the name of your new variable (eg
"test1")

Using the list of variables and the keypad box, click in the
expression for your new variable eg:

gender
=
1
^
age

1
0

Then click OK.

     I usually find the GUI most useful for helping me to remember my
     variables. Variable view is your friend. Otherwise I have little use
     for it all. Learning how to read / write PSPP syntax is going to open
     up all sorts of new possibilities for you that the GUI will never be
     able to match.<br>
     Advantages include:<br>
     1) Reproducibility - you know what you did (every last
     detail)<br>

In pspp(ire), all operations are logged to the file called pspp.jnl so
you can always review exactly what you've been doing.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3