pspp-dev

Fuzzing PSPP

From: John Darrington
Subject: Fuzzing PSPP
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 07:05:04 +0200

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 07:06:23AM +0800, Chao Zhang wrote:

     We are using smart fuzzing to test open source applications, including
     pspp. Our tool collAFL is an enhanced version of AFL.

     The core of AFL is an genetic algorithm to automatically discover
     interesting test cases that trigger new internal states in the targeted
     application, which leads to a high code coverage. Our tool collAFL's
     improvement over AFL is that, it reduces some collisions in AFL's
     algorithm, and increases the code coverage of AFL.

     The evaluation result is good so far. We found dozens of vulnerabilities
     in open source applications using collAFL. We are writing a paper about
     it. More details will be discussed in the paper. Once the paper is ready,
     we can share a copy with you, if you are interested.

The fuzzer I used to harden PSPP was Sam Hocevar's zzuf application,
http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/zzuf

I think the AFL fuzzer is somewhat more sofisticated to could well find a few
other issues.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3