pspp-dev

Re: Italian Translation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Italian Translation
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:57:11 +0900

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 03:30:47PM +0200, Jacopo wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a noob in development of gnu programs but i've started translating
> the en_GB.po in italian. I translated the 14% of the whole strings.
> I attach the it.po and it.mo .

It looks like a good start.  It seems to integrate well with the
currrent head.  Some minor points:

1. Make sure that you fix the comments:

# British translations for PSPP
# Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# This file is distributed under the same licence as the PSPP package.
# John Darrington <address@hidden>, 2007.

Ie, "British" --> "Italian",  2007 --> 2008, and remove my name from
your work.

2. "Language-Team: John Darrington <address@hidden>\n"

Make this the same as the Last-Translator: field, until you have a
large team working on this.

> If smeone is interested, i have few questions about translating:
> 1st :  The abbreviations must be mantained?

I think you're refering to strings like "Std err".   So far as I can
see, these strings were written this way, when they appear in tables,
so as to avoid making the column width excessively wide.  Once we have
a better output engine, this may not be necessary.  On the other hand
it may still be useful to maintain a set of abbreviated strings.  I
wonder if Ben has any comments on this?

> 2nd : The words in capital case are commands? Can be translated?

No. Strings like "SYSMIS", "SAVE", "INPUT PROGRAM" should remain
verbatim.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3