pspp-dev

Re: Re: Writing journal and output file to current directory

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: Re: Writing journal and output file to current directory
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:22:47 -0400

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:34:12AM +0200, unknown-1 wrote:
> >The other solution would be install the program in the user folder,
> >but each user of the machine will need to install it.
>
> Trouble, trouble. This means every user has to update his installation
> individual. No administrator will be happy with that. This costs a fortune
> on a large network.

I like the solution of installing in a user's folder.

I didn't have much of an opinion about this until recently. I've been
using PSPPIRE in some classroom demontstrations. It's very easy for me
if I can just install a copy in the public account's folder. If I can
do that, then I can start the installation in the beginning of class,
and it can be ready before the end of class, and then the class
smoothly sails along. But if I need administrative privelages, then I
just have to wait for the IT department to get around to installing
it, which could take a long time. In the meantime, I'm stuck in front
of the class with nothing to show. Or I have to use R, which is OK with
me, but the students hate its syntax.

R will install a crippled version of itself in the user's folder. The
crippled version is good enough. It installs quickly and easily enough
to let me go on with the class.

I guess you could say I should be more prepared for class, but these
situations occur no matter how well I prepare. Sometimes the IT
department wipes the public account, and sometimes I just forget to
check that the machines have the software I need. Allowing PSPP to
install in a user's folder will make classroom demonstrations much
easier.

And the campus admins don't seem to care, either. Maybe there ought
to be two installations: not-fully-functional in the user's directory,
or fully-functional on the whole system.

-Jason