pspp-dev

Re: obsd build include trouble

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: obsd build include trouble
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:29:08 -0800

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:05:36AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      I actually wasn't aware that recent GCC had changed the way it
>      treats bare -I.  I know that -I- is now deprecated in favor of
>      -isystem.
>
> -I- actually did two things. From the gcc-3.3.5 documentation :
>
>            In addition, -I- inhibits the use of the directory of the current
>            file directory as the first search directory for "#include "file"".
>
> It probably wasn't a good idea to have one flag serving two purposes. But
> it seems that in gcc 4.x, there is no way to specify such an
> inhibition.  I don't think this particular issue is going to affect
> the PSPP build system, unless it's compiled using a virtual view
> path.  But it got me worried ...

PSPP didn't ever use -I- or -isystem, so I don't see how this
change would affect us.  I don't know what a "virtual view path"
is, unless it's a VPATH (I didn't know that was what VPATH stands
for--is it?).

Did you use <> instead of "" for libpspp #includes for some
related reason?  I am a little puzzled by that choice.
--
"There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you.
 And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you.