pspp-dev

Re: Directory restructuring

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Directory restructuring
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:54:11 +0800

The first-in-first-out model is certainly appropriate for errors
caused by parsing syntax, where the concern is to provide information
which will enable the user to fix the syntax.   But I'm not sure if
it's correct for other types of errors/messages.  I note that the gtk+
library uses a stack for its status
bar. http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStatusbar.html
They obviously believe that the most recent message should be
displayed first.

Consider what might happen if and when we implement pspp as a client
server model.   If the server crashes, then the client might
experience dozens of errors (eg catagorical variable equals SYSMIS),
but the loss of communication with the back-end might be not be
detected until several seconds later.  In this scenario, the loss of
communication is the most useful message, whereas data having strange
values is incidental.

Having said that, it seems that having msg() push a value into some
sort of structure is probably a good idea.  Exactly what sort of
structure that should be, and how items can be extracted from it can
probably be changed at a later date.

J'