pspp-dev

Re: linreg

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: linreg
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 08:52:07 -0800

Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:20:20PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> I seem to recall that when we met at Stanford this summer, it was
>> sort of a "side goal" of yours to write statistical libraries
>> that were useful both inside and outside PSPP.  If that's still
>> the case--I do like the idea--then I'd encourage you to take a
>> stab at it.
>
> That's still the case. I have been taking a stab at it, though
> not as much lately as I would like because of work.

Makes sense--glad to hear it.

>> Is there a reason to create a separate "statlib" for statistical
>> libraries?  I don't know of a reason that the existing "lib"
>> wouldn't do.  The goal of the division of source code in PSPP
>> between "lib" and "src" is just a hint that code in "lib" is not
>> PSPP-specific, whereas code in "src" is.
>
> I'm not attached to the name 'statlib' or any other specific name.
> If 'lib' is meant to encompass anything that doesn't depend strictly
> on PSPP, then 'lib' sounds okay.

That's the way I'd like to interpret it.  Perhaps we could add a
README in the lib directory that states this, so that it's clear
to people other than me :-)
--
"Implementation details are beyond the scope of the Java virtual
 machine specification.  One should not assume that every virtual