pspp-dev

Re: file-handles

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: file-handles
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:46:29 +0800

Frankly, the only reason the GUI needs to bother with file_handles, is
that it's currently the only way to call sfm_open_{reader,writer}.
I'd be happier to add a function to these modules, which takes a
filename instead of  a file_handle (and the same for pfm_open).  Then
I don't need to use file handles at all.

Do you think that would be a better solution?

J'

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 03:29:11PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > I can understand where you're comming from.  How would you feel about
     > the GUI just re-using the same file handle?  In many ways that would
     > make more sense, because currently, whenever the GUI opens a new file,
     > I'm destroying the old file handle, and immediately recreating it,
     > which seems cumersome.  So can you see any problem with a function
     > which associates a new filename with a handle.  Perhaps it would have
     > to do some checks first, like closing the old file if it was open.

     I don't have any objection to changing the file name associated
     with a handle, if it's only used by the GUI for that specialized
     purpose.  I think in general-purpose use it could have problems
     related to those in destroying file handles.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3