pspp-dev

Re: PSPP understanding

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: PSPP understanding
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:33:05 -0700

michael michael <address@hidden> writes:

> By the way, who has written lexer.c?

That's me.

> I've found that except avl.c, pool.c and str.c some other program
> modules can be used in other program development. This is, for
> example, filename.c (although these functions are not difficult, of
> course).
>
> It seems to me, that developers should write simple, well
> understandable code, that can be used as a "stand-alone" program
> module.
>
> I don't know why you don't use classes or functions that use data in
> parameters only. When I adapt PSPP 0.3.0 for Windows (this is done for
> Visual C++, by the way), a lot of puzzles were solved. I can share my
> results, so if anybody needs Windows version of PSPP 0.3.0, please,
> write me. This is developer's code, no more.

It is nice of you to write about all these lovely principles, but
where is the 70,000 line program you have written that follows
them all over?

> Now this code is not so easy to understand.  avl.c, pool.c, str.c,
> filename.c are parts of PSPP which are maybe more "stand-alone" than
> others.

Those files are more separable because they are designed to be
so.  (Also, please note that the CVS sources no longer include
avl.c.)
--
"In this world that Hugh Heffner had made,
 he alone seemed forever bunnyless."