poke-devel

Re: [platform-testers] GNU poke 3.90.4 pre-released in alpha.gnu.org

From: Dagobert Michelsen
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] GNU poke 3.90.4 pre-released in alpha.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:00:02 +0100

Hi Mohammad,

> Am 25.02.2024 um 21:44 schrieb Mohammad-Reza Nabipoor <mnabipoor@gnu.org>:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 01:41:34PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> With 30.9.4 I get the following error on linkage on Solaris 10 x86 with GCC
>> 5.5:
>>
>> Undefined                       first referenced
>> symbol                             in file
>> vasprintf                           .libs/libpoke_la-pkl-diag.o  (symbol
>> belongs to unavailable version /lib/libc.so (SUNW_1.22.7))
>> asprintf                            .libs/libpoke_la-libpoke.o  (symbol
>> belongs to unavailable version /lib/libc.so (SUNW_1.22.7))
>> ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to
>> .libs/libpoke.so.1.0.0
>
> I tried to reproduce this problem (on unstable10x), but I couldn't!
>
> These are my steps to compile the poke-3.90.4:
>
>  $ wget
> https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/releases/download/v8.2.6/gc-8.2.6.tar.gz
>  $ gunzip gc-8.2.6.tar.gz
>  $ tar xf gc-8.2.6.tar
>  $ cd gc-8.2.6
>  $ mkdir _build && ../configure --prefix=$HOME/usr && make && make install
>
>  $ cd $HOME
>  $ wget https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/poke/poke-3.90.4.tar.gz
>  $ gunzip poke-3.90.4.tar.gz
>  $ tar xf poke-3.90.4.tar
>  $ cd poke-3.90.4 && mkdir _build && cd _build
>  $ ../configure --prefix=$HOME/usr \
>   PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=$HOME/usr/lib/pkgconfig \
> CFLAGS="-I$HOME/usr/include" \
> LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/usr/lib/"
>  $ gmake
>  $ gmake install
>  $ $HOME/usr/bin/poke
>
> And it works!

I can reproduce that it works in your build (with the obvious "cd _build“
missing).

> What are your steps to compile poke?

I build to package with the OpenCSW „Gar“ build system. This sets a lot of
flags and parameters -
the relevant one here was one to restrict the libc version by using a linker
map to a somewhat
older release so the package could be used on older Solaris 10 maintenance
releases. This
conflicted with asprintf and vasprintf as these functions are only introduced
in the most recent
libc of Solaris 10. I now fixed the issue by removing the usage of this linker
map to
reduce libc release level.

So everything was fine on your side, sorry for the noise!

Best regards

  — Dago

--
"You don't become great by trying to be great, you become great by wanting to
do something,