poke-devel

request for review: gmo.pk

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: request for review: gmo.pk
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:28:36 +0100

Hi,

I would like to publish a gmo.pk in GNU poke, with a pointer to it in
the GNU gettext documentation.

Could someone please review it for best practices and give me hints?

In particular, I'm unsure about these:

  * Is a .pk complete when all the user can do with it is to inspect
    existing files? Or is it a requirement that the user can modify
    strings (and the rest of the file, including offsets and hash tables,
    update themselves automatically)?

  * Is it OK to formally describe only the initial part of the file, and
    access the rest through '@' ? Or should the entire file be described,
    up to EOF (so that it can grow if the user attempts to change a string)?

  * Is it OK to have a function 'fun print_char_escaped' at the top level,
    or should it carry a prefix?

  * Comments: /* ... */ vs // ?

Note that I haven't read the entire manual. So it may be sufficient to
point me to the right doc sections.

Bruno