poke-devel

Re: add installation information for the tarball users

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: add installation information for the tarball users
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 22:54:19 +0100

Hi José,

> > +  + Pre-built package name:
> > +    - On Debian and Debian-based systems: tcl-dev, tk-dev,
> > +    - On Red Hat distributions: tcl-devel, tk-devel.
> > +    - Other: https://repology.org/project/tk/versions
>
> The GUI also has a run-time dependency on tcllib.  It is only required
> for the handling of JSON data, and it is in the TODO to make the GUI
> using libjson-c as poke does, but in the meanwhile tcllib is needed.

Yes, on the CentOS 8 machine I noticed that 'tcl-devel' and 'tk-devel'
are not all that's needed. The build produced and installed an executable
named 'poke-gui' but when run it complains that some json library is not
found.

I propose to find out about this during portability testing, tomorrow
or this week.

The info was not present in etc/hacking.org, therefore my patch is not
losing information.

> The Debian package with tcllib is `tcllib'.

Good info, thanks.

> Other than that, this is OK for master.

Can I push this now, and update the DEPENDENCIES file once I have found
out more?

Bruno