platform-testers

[platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.11.18-42f0

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.11.18-42f0
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:45:49 +0200

With today's regression fix and a few changes via gnulib,
here's one more snapshot:

grep snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz      1.2 MB
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-2.11.18-42f0.tar.xz

There are .sig files here, too:
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/grep/grep-2.11.18-42f0.tar.xz

Here's NEWS:
** Bug fixes

  "echo P|grep --devices=skip P" once again prints P, as it did in 2.10
  [bug introduced in grep-2.11]

  grep no longer segfaults with -r --exclude-dir and no file operand.
  I.e., ":|grep -r --exclude-dir=D PAT" would segfault.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.11]

  Recursive grep now uses fts for directory traversal, so it can
  handle much-larger directories without reporting things like "File
  name too long", and it can run much faster when dealing with large
  directory hierarchies. [bug present since the beginning]

  grep -E 'a{1000000000}' now reports an overflow error rather than
  silently acting like grep -E 'a\{1000000000}'.

** New features

  The -R option now has a long-option alias --dereference-recursive.

** Changes in behavior

  The -r (--recursive) option now follows only command-line symlinks.
  Also, by default -r now reads a device only if it is named on the command
  line; this can be overridden with --devices.  -R acts as before, so
  use -R if you prefer the old behavior of following all symlinks and
  defaulting to reading all devices.

Changes in grep since 2.11.11-b00d1 (the preceding snapshot):

Jim Meyering (7):
      tests: avoid spurious failure of the symlink test
      grep: handle symlinked directory loops as usual
      maint: dfa: avoid unnecessary uses of strcpy/strncpy
      maint: dfa: add/improve comments
      maint: dfa: correct bogus formatting
      grep: fix --devices=ACTION (-D) so stdin is once again exempt
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest

Changes in gnulib since 2.11.11-b00d1:

* gnulib 7995834...4805617 (16):