phpgroupware-users

Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Information Management Module

From: James Mohr
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Information Management Module
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:15:36 +0200

Thanks Will and Brian for your quick responses.

I already started using the addresses for things like bank account and
insurance information. But then I got stuck trying to figure a way to use it
for something like hardware inventory. Granted, I could create a record for
each peice of HW or just manufacturer,  then add the necessary fields.
However, that seem like a real kludge.

Notes didn't seem to fit as I was looking for something tabular, and not just
a block of data. The infolog is a great tool, but there is a lot of extra
stuff that makes it cumbersome to work with (in this content). Also it seems
like a kludge.

What I was thinking about was a module where you had a table with, say, 20
fields of various types (a few data fields, a few char fields, a few tiny
text, a couple of text and so forth). A second table would define a kind of
"virtual table". For example, it would contain N+2 fields, with the virtual
table name and a description, plus the names of the fields within the virtual
table. (Perhaps it would need some extra fields, but that's the basic idea)

Well, if there is no such thing, I guess I will have to write it myself.

Regards,

jimmo