phpgroupware-users

Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Tool is ready for download

From: Lars Kneschke(priv.)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Tool is ready for download
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:18:51 +0000

on* Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:53:51 -0600, you wrote*:

>This is what I am hearing:
>
>the developers in germany just stamped their basic company license on
>the beta
>but are assuming that it will be released for free (and possibly
>open-source)
>but are not the main decision-makers in the company.
>
>the phpgroupware developers are highly wary of working on a project
>without a
>clearly defined license that they agree with (most likely gpl). The
>main
>issue being that they find themselves contributing on code that may
>have the
>source withheld from them, as well as the profits from any potential
>sales.
>In short, they may have found themselves to be working on a commercial
>
>product owned by a corporation without recompense or rights. The
>current
>license, if accepted would leave them vulnerable to such a nightmare
>
>scenario.
>
>recommendation:
>Get clear on exactly how the software will be used and change the
>license to
>reflect that. I know it is a hassle to go through all of the proper
>channels
>to get the proper approvals for the proper license (which I believe
>should be
>gpl), but it is important if you want community help and support to
>offer a
>clear community license.

Years ago( developer years!!;) )  we decided to release the api of
phpgroupware(anything under phpgwapi/) under the lgpl, to be able to use the
api in commercial products.
This allows us, to develop closed source apps, for some of our costumers.
Any main apps(calendar, addressbook) are under the gpl.
But, any developer is free to release his app under what license he thinks
is usefull.
I have no problems, seeing commercial apps using the api. As long as they
keep the copyright.

My 2 €-Cents...

Cu
--