Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] SVN reorg

From: Maât
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] SVN reorg
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:11:48 +0200

Sigurd Nes a écrit :
Maât wrote:
Hi,

We spoke earlier about svn reorganization so that we can have a working phpgroupware with a single checkout and trunk/tags/branches for each module.

Can we consider doing this reorganization before .18 branching ?

(I think that would also make branching and release easier.)

regards,
Maât

It is fine by me.

Maybe we should try to summarize previous discussions on the subject into a final scheme/layout before actually doing the change?

Regards

Sigurd

Of course.

the idea is :

1) to have a trunk/tag/branches tree for each application/module of phpgroupware

2) to have a trunk/tags/branches tree for phpgroupware and to use svn:externals on it so that a single checkout on url://of/phpgroupware/trunk retrives automatically the dependancies ( setup, phpgwapi, home, admin...)

If one wants to add a specific (not retrieved by default) module he'll just have to edit svn:externals and make a svn update

for branching and releases the source control manager will just have to edit svn:externals in branch so that it targets modules tags instead of branches or trunk then procceed to tag creation then change back to target again branches for those who would like to betatest bleeding edge for the given branch.

for phpgroupware trunk svn:externals would of course target trunks of modules

phpgroupware dir would appear at the top of svn repository so that svn checkout url is easy for everybody

modules and components would appear as subdirs of a top level dir called for example "modules" or "applications" or "components" their specific url would only be used by people managing modules versions and branches and sometimes by modules coders

the result : for people wanting to use or test phpgw from svn :

for a release :
svn co http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/tags/release_0.18.001

for a branch :
svn co http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/branches/branch_0.18

for the trunk :
svn co http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/trunk

for people working on phpgw :

for a branch :
svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/branches/branch_0.18

for the trunk :
svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/phpgroupware/trunk

regards,
Maât

Nota : we could also imagine "flavored" branches with differents sets of modules declared ( to match the main users profiles... project management, facility management, community communication....)