Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] More on SAPDB support

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] More on SAPDB support
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:44:10 -0600

<DISCLAIMER>
  I am now EXTREMELY sleep deprived, take all of the following with TWO
tablespoons of salt (thats a mexican saying for "do not trust this as my
opinion or a way to help, its just a way to keep me awake")
</DISCLAIMER>

El lun, 10-11-2003 a las 04:37, Kai Hofmann escribió:
> Today I tested a lot more of the 0.9.16 applications install procedure and
> found a lot of problems with these applications:

Cool, someone did a list!

> eldaptir
This is old and doesnt work. I say ditch it. I was working on a port of
a full fledged oop ldap class but i got distracted by a shiny
thing.....what is this thing in front of me? Who are you?...why am i
clicking with my fingers?....mhm. No really, phpgw should have a wrapper
for Net::LDAP. I started off in the right foot and i have the code
somewhere. A cool ldap client needs a cool ldap lib. Eldaptir as we have
it is ages old, needs replacement. I looked  into directory manager for
porting, and looking at the classes, but did not like the way its made.
Although it aint bad, for example, it has a schema browser/editor
already. Big plus.

> headlines
Yeah, this was reported all over. This would be nice to keep but chriss
went into it a bit and he was not happy. Its nice though, /methinks an
rdf hub , but its not me who wants to mantain it.

> phpgw_discuss (forum?)
If fudforum is being brought in, and it will have a mantainer, then
lets, for the love of allmighty gawd, make the sitemgr module for fud
and get rid of this.

> messenger
I dont think this does much for anyone.

> news
Cannot see  a problem with this one, but could not test it as i dont
have nntp access anywhere

> mrbs
huh?
> wiki
This one is cool and should be supported, whats wrong with it? Ill check
it too.
> brewer
I dont get it

> comic
This one is a nice gadget for showing off i think.

> sitemanager
Cannot see a problem with this one. Works
> inv
Mhm. This one was not bad like in 9.12 or something. Right now, im not
shure what it can do for us. I think ck pretty much has nailed this
problem in general so, his is good stuff to send people to.

I say, drop unmantained apps we deem unworthy with a grace period to see
if users are really into them. What was your problem with sitemgr
though, i want to mantain it (and can use some help!), i have had no
problems upon instalation or use, at all, in both pgsql and mysql.

> The question now is if I should fix these things myself in the cvs (for
> which version - I teste 0.9.16)
> or if the maintainers will do that? and what about unmaintained apps?

Yeah, what about unmatained apps. I dunno, i say some should go, give
users a grace period to vote for them to stay, make a big announcement
on the page for those apps that are sadly leaving the project.