Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Logging Statement Guidelines? (long)

From: Doug Dicks
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Logging Statement Guidelines? (long)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:25:59 -0500

Chris Weiss wrote:

the logging features are not widely used in apps so I'd imagine there aren't
really
any standards yet.

I did some more searching and see that standardizing logging (perhaps using Log4PHP) was brought up a couple of weeks ago (sorry for missing that the first time). The consensus seemed that it was a good idea, but nobody had time for it.

Well, I might have some time. I've got a lot of experience with Log4J, none with Log4PHP, but it's supposed to have the same functionality. I know nothing about log4php's performance and stability though.

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this yet, but off the top of my head... Each PHPGroupware application (email, calendar, etc.) would have it's own logging catagory. The levels on each of these could be controlled individually, so that I could run email at DEBUG, calendar at INFO, and the phpgwapi at ERROR at the same time. It looks like log4php supports several of the output appenders (file, syslog, etc.), but I didn't see a database appender.

Is this something you would like to me to take a look at in greater detail? As I mentioned before, we are looking at deploying PHPGroupware for a customer. Improved logging is something we'd very much like to add, and if that matches where the project wants to go, so much the better. I have no desire to maintain a separate codebase.

Also, before you hack to hard at email, swap it with the latest from
anglemail.org
so you're working on the latest devel code, which still works in .14 too.

Will do. So the code I pulled out of cvs on the Version-0_9_16-branch for email is not the current development version?

Thanks,

Doug