RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Do

From: Lars Kneschke(priv.)
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Documentor
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:52:46 +0000

Christian Böttger <address@hidden> schrieb:

>> I think, you(as company) are doing it the wrong way.
>
>Well, let's assume we have a customer who wants certain modifications
>on
>phpGW done for use in his company. Of course the result is still GPL
>and
>copyrights are assigned to FSF or FSF Europe. Now we may have and
>most
>probably will have the case that some of these modifications are in
>line
>with the overall goals of the phpGW project and some are not. What are
>we
>suppose to do? Refuse to work for the customer? I guess not.
>The only solution I can think of is that we do perform the job and
>offer the
>modifications to the phpGW project so that all can decide what to take
>over
>and what not to take over.
>
>Obviously we would like to have as much as possible being incorporated
>into
>the phpGW project. But for those parts that don't fit, we then still
>can
>maintain a patch set for customers who want the modified version; of
>course
>as GPL software and free others as well.

I absolutly agree with you. But that was not what i did mean.

>> You don't communicate and integrate into the developer community.
>
>Proof by assumption?

Actually i hate such discussion, but i joined them already.

These 2 statements belong togehter.

>> I think, you(as company) are doing it the wrong way.
>> You don't communicate with and integrate into the developer community.

Your first mistake:

Your company wrote a article in a important german computer magazine about
phpgroupware. After reading this article, the reader has the feeling that
you are the only german contact about phpgroupware. That did not give you a
good standing in the german developer community.
Why was it not able to mention that there is a german phpgw website
avaiable?
Why can't you write a short message to the mailinglist, that you will write
such a article?
That's what i mean with "communicate and integrate"!

Your second mistake:

Do you know the motivation of a opensource developer? Most developers just
code for their ego or for building their perfect toy. And now do you come,
and tell us about whats all bad must be fundamentaly changed. You can say it
 with nice words, but you must not. This is something about missing social
competence. But that's not important for your employees...
How do expect to become accepted?

If you do it right, you can motivate the people to work with you togehter.
No need for patches, no bothering discussions, no bothering emails. We had
already very hard discussions in past on this list, but we always moved
forward to a better solution.

I can understand that you need to reach some milestones, to earn money, and
just want to start. But that's not the way it works. You need to start
slowly, to become faster later.

I'm not against you, i just want to show you, where you did fail in the
past, to integrate into the community.

I hope this was enough proof.

I'm against such childish discussions. Wo did say when what?? It's to much
looking in the past.
I think we all should know now, what we think the others did wrong. Just
let's looking forward. And try to circumvent the old mistakes.

Cu
--
written with FeLaMiMail