perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Shell Manager

From: Jason Brian Friedrich
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Shell Manager
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:15:43 +0100

On 01/16/2005 02:36 PM Gavin Brown wrote::

>> i am using PerlPanel 0.9.0 and use the shell manager to keep my
>> ssh connections organized. The applet works well but a an option
>> to save the password would be fine
>
> ShellManager just invokes a terminal with "-e ssh address@hidden" as an
> argument - there's no way to manage passwords, and if there were it
> would be a pretty serious security hole.
>
> You should consider using an RSA key to avoid entering your password
> lots of times, that's what I do.

Hoi :-). Fast as ever. I considered this but it was declined.
Most of the servers are work-related so i have to use the
authentification method my supervisor appreciates ;-).

>> But now my actual problem with this applet. My panel size is 18
>> and i have also set 'menu_icon_size="tiny"' in perlpanelrc to
>> have tiny icons. But this icon size setting does not afect the
>> icons in the shell manager applet.
>
> There was a missing argument to the function that loaded the icons, I've
> added it in CVS and it should work from the next release on.

Thanks a lot, will grab a snapshot later. I also files a bug
against the gentoo ebuild. Not all dependecies are solved when
getting perlpanel via emerge.

At last a more private question: I plan to travel through England
this spring (two weeks) and i want to see the countryside. Any
special places of interest? I want to visit London one day, will
go to Oxford for a few days and then travel around...

If you know any hints, suggestions or places of interest, please
send me a message :-). Thanks.

Jason