pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Something is scaring me in the description of the librar

From: Cirilo Bernardo
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Something is scaring me in the description of the library
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:38:25 +0000

>  > < If there is not enough available memory to satisfy the petition a
>  > < fatal error is signaled killing the current process. An error status
>  > < is returned to the operating system.
>  > 132a129,130
>  > > If there is not enough available memory to satisfy the petition then
>  > > @code{NULL} is returned.
>  >
>  > Thanks.
>  >

> Then I think we should not provide the option to abort the program on the
> error
> module either, right ?
>
> -gerel

That is correct; the error module should not decide how the application behaves.
It is really only the top level application which can make decisions on what to
do when there are problems.  In the GNU guidelines, a non-interactive session
(usually a batch process) would typically abort; in practise a message
is written
to a log so that whoever owned the batch process has some idea what parts
didn't work.  This is one of the rare situations which it is sometimes
acceptable
to abort, but even with non-interactive programs it is not necessarily
acceptable.
In interactive sessions, the user doesn't want the program to mysteriously exit;
the user wants to be told what went wrong so that they can do something useful.

- Cirilo