pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] PDF sampled functions and interpolation

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] PDF sampled functions and interpolation
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:54:33 +0200

       Brian Cough (maintainer of gsl) is worried about the efficiency of the
       gsl functions for a software such as the pdf library. I disagree with
       him. I think the gsl would fit our needs quite well.

   Surely it's far too early to worry about efficiency.  If gsl will move
   development forward by a leap and a bound, that seems all to the good.
   Down the road, if it turns out some function or another is bottleneck,
   it can probably be optimized on its own.

I agree. The gsl support both linear and cubic spline
interpolation. It also has good support for linear transformations,
vectors and matrices.

It is also GPLv3 compatible (latest release is GPLv2 or later, and
Brian told me the next release will be GPLv3).

   Computers have lots of cycles available.  Human programmers don't :).

Indeed.