Re: [External] Changing TERM TERM to HUP TERM

From: Rech, Andrew
Subject: Re: [External] Changing TERM TERM to HUP TERM
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:41:04 +0000

Ole, I agree this change would be ideal, inasmuch as any TERM should kill the
program. But the cost of this breaking change is potentially high in scripts
running long jobs, and the upshot small - sending two TERM signals is not
difficult, and the message after the first is clear.

A big advantage, in my opinion, of GNU Parallel is that it is simple to use and
just works. Echoing Shyam, if you do this, perhaps consider deprecating the
current behavior first in addition to an announcement.

Andrew