RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel ver

From: Groom, George
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel versions
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:54:49 +0000

MCVE

Extract the 2 attachments in the same directory.  Execute milti-processor-examples shell script.  Needs sudo access to pull machine profile.  Change path to linux dictionary in script as needed.

Script is straight forward as it forks “grep ‘string’ dict” processes for all words in word_list.

Actual output from my 2 HP systems are below.  Note execution time differences between later and older kernels.  Runtimes are quicker on an older machine with older kernel (process scheduling?). Note runtimes of xargs and for-loop are much quicker!

Thank you for your time,

George Groom

Comparing runtime of serial and 3 parallel processing methods...parallel, xargs and a for-loop

Run mode: cat

Kernel

3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64

Machine profile

                HTT (Multi-threading)

        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz

        Core Count: 22

        Core Enabled: 22

        Thread Count: 44

                Multi-Core

                Hardware Thread

                HTT (Multi-threading)

        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz

        Core Count: 22

        Core Enabled: 22

        Thread Count: 44

                Multi-Core

                Hardware Thread

        Product Name: Synergy 480 Gen9

        Product Name: Synergy 480 Gen9 Compute Module

        String 2: Product ID: 732350-B21

serially... in this mode processing takes too long...skipping

parallel...

real    0m36.438s

user    2m40.102s

sys     0m29.745s

xargs...

real    0m28.718s

user    2m26.768s

sys     0m13.546s

for-loop...

real    0m29.858s

user    2m25.937s

sys     0m9.881s

Comparing runtime of serial and 3 parallel processing methods...parallel, xargs and a for-loop

Run mode: cat

Kernel

2.6.18-238.el5

Machine profile

        Product Name: ProLiant DL360 G7

                HTT (Multi-threading)

        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5649 @ 2.53GHz

        Core Count: 6

        Core Enabled: 6

        Thread Count: 12

                HTT (Multi-threading)

        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5649 @ 2.53GHz

        Core Count: 6

        Core Enabled: 6

        Thread Count: 12

        String 2: Product ID: 579237-B21

serially... in this mode processing takes too long...skipping

parallel...

real    0m23.732s

user    1m33.362s

sys     0m34.111s