very imblanced host allocation when using sshloginfile

From: Daniel LaFlamme
Subject: very imblanced host allocation when using sshloginfile
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 01:43:32 +0000 (UTC)

I have an sshloginfile with 12 hostnames in it. All machines are identical. I used parallel like this:

$ parallel --controlmaster --sshdelay 0.3  --joblog joblog.txt --sshloginfile ~/etc/parallel/hosts  'echo {} | /shared/nfs/process-file' :::: filelist.txt | tee -a result.txt

/shared/nfs/process-file is a shell script and is accessible on all hosts
filelist.txt is a file with 6247 paths to .gz files in it. These .gz files are processed by the process-file script.

While the parallel was running I noticed that all of the jobs were being allocated to one of the hosts in the hostfile, host05.  In fact, the first time a host other than host05 was allocated a job was on sequence number 622.

The final distribution of how many jobs ran on each of the 12 hosts is:

$ cat joblog.txt  | awk '{ print $2 }' | sort | uniq -c
         2 host01
     538 host02
         1 host03
     323 host04
   4696 host05
         1 host07
         2 host08
         2 host09
     493 host10
         3 host11
         3 host12
         1 Host
$

As you can see, the distribution is very imbalanced.

Later in the job run, I did start seeing messages like the following: