Re: Problems to reuse --eta output

From: Pacho Ramos
Subject: Re: Problems to reuse --eta output
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 13:17:26 +0100

Other option could be to allow another simpler "ETA" option simply allowing to output the number (not all the other messages) to a file allowing us to play with it more easily :/

Thanks

This is one example of the output file... as you see, I would like to end up getting this output
103s

But, instead, I get 0s with awk, cut, grep...

Hello,

I am trying to let users to get meaningful time remaining measurements from the parallel output. For now I am putting parallel 2 output to a file. The problem is that the file is constantly being updated and, then, even if I can watch it properly with "tail -f ..." I cannot do, for example:
tail -n1 file | cut -d " " -f2 -> to get the seconds left, neither awk. Both end up showing "0s" probably because they read the whole file at the end.

Do you know how could I solve this issue? In summary, I would need to get simply the number of seconds left when the user asks for it and, after that, play with that number (to show the format in hours ans so).

Thanks a lot