Re: Uses of GNU Parallel

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: Uses of GNU Parallel
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:20:54 +0100

So i have several programs to pipe together, where each program in the pipe could optionally run in parallel.

It sounds like you will have that in shell script and then call parallel.

I would like an extension where GNU Parallel is able to read a user supplied file in which one can specify a list of programs to run at each pipe stage, and qualify the data that moves through the pipe.

You have to describe it more detailed about what input should give what output. Give some examples.

I would also like to  have GNU Parallel be interactive so that once it has started running, i could issue commands to leave out certain files or to bypass certain programs in the pipe. This is the most basic version of the extension

You can get feedback with --eta and --joblog. That could be used for input to your joblist. And you are always free to implement it yourself.

./hans