Re: add file name to output file along with the line extracted

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: add file name to output file along with the line extracted
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 19:52:53 +0200

Hi Mr./Ms. Anekalla,

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 08:23:59 -0600
Kishore Reddy <kishorereddyanekalla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I am trying to extract 10th line from group of files.
> I am able to do it with
>
> find . -name "*.final.out" | parallel "awk 'NR ==10' {} >> result.txt"
>
> However, I need to add a filename in the output file for every line so that
> I can identify from which file the line came from.

This is an awk question rather than a GNU parallel one. You can do the
following in GNU awk:

        awk 'FNR == 10 {print FILENAME ":" $0;nextfile;}'

FNR and FILENAME appear to be part of the standard:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/awk.html

I had to look the exact syntax up on DuckDuckGo.

Hope that helps,

        Shlomi