Re: Regarding shell variable injection

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: Regarding shell variable injection
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:08:00 +0300

Hi Samdani,

please see
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/netiquette/email/reply-to-list.html
 .
I am CCing my reply to the list because you didn't specifically say that it
should be a private reply (and why). See below for my reply.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 14:52:18 +0530 Samdani A <samdani1593@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had read about the links. I am not using any spaces in the variable
> naming still I need to encode the variable in double quotes such as "$f".
>
> Do you have any idea on this .bash~ created??
> junk.bash~  parallel.bash   parallel.bash~  temp.bash~
>
> Please clarify the doubts.

I'm not sure, but:

1. There may be some non-standard characters that will cause a problem in this
case.

2. Your code may end up being used by other users with different habits.

3. It is a "red flag" that signifies potential sloppiness or cluelessness and
as such should be avoided as much as possible.

Regards,

        -- Shlomi