Re: Temp file location

From: Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen
Subject: Re: Temp file location
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 02:19:15 +0100

On 12 December 2015 at 00:47, Josef wells <Josefwells@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:

That also says that this is for buffering output files, that is not what I'm seeing g in ~/.parallel

Josef

Please answer below and not top-post then it is easier to follow the discussion.

linelen-<hostname> is something with the maximum length of the command-line on the remote-hosts.
These files should be small so it should be ok if they are located on a network share.

Are you using -X or -m ?

Regards
Martin

On Dec 11, 2015 5:42 PM, "Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen" <traxplayer@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11 December 2015 at 23:16, Josef wells <Josefwells@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:

> Normal operation of parallel seems to use ~/.parallel/tmp in some
> cases this is a long-distance network drive for me.. I'm unclear on
> exactly what goes here, the files mostly look like
> "linelen-<hostname>".
>
> Is there a way to relocate this area?

From the excellent man-page that comes with GNU Parallel under

"OPTIONS" it says:

       --tmpdir dirname
                Directory for temporary files. GNU parallel normally buffers output into temporary files in /tmp. By setting --tmpdir you can use a different dir for the files. Setting --tmpdir is equivalent to setting $TMPDIR.

and further down under "ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES" it says:

       $TMPDIR  Directory for temporary files. See: --tmpdir.

Regards
Martin M. S. Pedersen

--
Til uvedkommende, der læser med: Der er ingen grund til at læse min
mail. Jeg har intet at gøre med FARC, al-Jihad, al-Qaida, Hamas, Hizb

Leve Ligemageriet!
Styrk pøbelvældet!
Bevar misundelsesafgifterne og cafepengene!
Hurra for ældrebyrden!