Re: transfer with hostnames from stdin

From: Brian McQueen
Subject: Re: transfer with hostnames from stdin
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 18:25:43 +0000

Yea, this works well:

oo -a npm-lb -e npr -p npm | parallel --tag --nonall -S - --basefile ./dev.sh ./dev.sh

I had a look at the code and it looks like there's a bit of a learning curve to get a patch going if its beyond the trivial.

tips? its a huge perl script

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:21 PM Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Brian McQueen <mcqueenorama@gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be great for my current cloud setup:
>
> ./getIpsFromAPI | parallel --tag --nonall -S - --transfer fixThing.sh
>
> I want it to take the local file, transfer it and exec it in the usual way,
> but I want the filename as an arg to transfer, and the hostnames to come
> from stdin.  Is there a way to do that?

Getting the sshlogins from stdin is easy:

    ... | parallel --tag --nonall --slf - fixThings.sh

But it seems you have found a bug: --transfer does not work with
--(n)onall. Otherwise this ought to work (THIS DOES NOT WORK NOW):

    ... | parallel --tag --nonall -S - --transfer fixThings.sh :::
file1_to_transfer file2 3rd

--basefile works, though. So maybe you can use that as a work around.

    myfunc() {
        ... | parallel --tag --nonall -S - --basefile "$1" fixThings.sh
    }
    export -f myfunc
    parallel -j1 myfunc ::: file1_to_transfer file2 3rd

It is unclear to me whether it will be easy to get --transfer to work
with --nonall. Patch welcome.

/Ole