Re: Recent license change?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Recent license change?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:52:59 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Karol Suprynowicz <ksuprynowicz@post.pl> wrote:

> I've created Digital Image Correlation software package that I intend to
> distribute on open-source license (probably also GPL v3), and I'd like to
> use GNU Parallel for some parallel data processing - it's very useful tool.
> In such case clear licensing terms are very important - I don't want to open
> myself or someone else to the possibility of ligitation.
> What is the current license for GNU Parallel? Is it compatibile with GPL v3?

The current licence is GPL v3, so you are fine. In later versions it
has been made clear that it is academic tradition that requires you to
cite, when publishing articles.

You might also find it interesting that if you do not change GNU
Parallel, but simply distribute it unmodified next to your program,
your program does not have to licensed under a GPL v3 compatible
license - even if it calls GNU Parallel. You program does not become a
derived work of GNU Parallel simply by calling it.

/Ole