Re: Problem with thousands of small jobs.

From: Felipe Alvarez
Subject: Re: Problem with thousands of small jobs.
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 14:43:39 +0000

Is there a"lighter" shell that you can use other than bash?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 23:20 xmoon 2000 <xmoon2000@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need to run about 4,000 jobs that each take around 20 seconds to complete

using:

 cat /tmp/parList | parallel -j 28 --eta;

On my 32 core machine works OK,   BUT there is a "lull" in processing
every few seconds as new jobs are started, once the current crop have
completed. I assume this is due to an overhead in starting jobs that
is only noticable because my jobs are so short.

Is there any way I could make this more efficient, so my cores are
fully utilised and getting through the whole process is faster?

Moon