Re: Complex script and long argument list

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Complex script and long argument list
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:08:08 +0100

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM, xmoon 2000 <xmoon2000@googlemail.com> wrote:

> To use parallel, I put all these into a file called parlist:
>
> /q/myFunc.sh 10 20000 -metric=sum -recalcDOW=wednesday -nth=0 -lag=0
> -qpopt=100 -qpmin=20.0 -qpup=0.01  slotAUDJPY0fr <folder1 ..folder200>
:
> I then tried to run in parallel like this:

> cat parlist | time parallel --eta
> or
> cat parlist | time parallel --eta '{}'
>
> But I get error:
>
> <WHOLE COMMAND REPEATED>: No such file or directory

First: Try to follow the section 'REPORTING BUGS' in 'man parallel'.
It will make it easier for us to help you, and it may just uncover the
problem.

Second: For the first situation: The only time I have experienced
something like that was when the space in the shell script was not a
real space, but some Unicode space lookalike character.

For the second situation it seems there is a bug in GNU Parallel. It
should of course treat {} and empty as the same. That would have been
easier to spot, if you had simply made a tiny example showing that
issue:

$ echo ls /bin/ls | parallel {}
/bin/bash: ls /bin/ls: No such file or directory

$ echo ls /bin/ls | parallel
/bin/ls

Conclusion: Try removing {}. If that does not help, replace all spaces
with real spaces, and newlines with newlines. If that does not help,
follow  the section 'REPORTING BUGS' in 'man parallel'.

/Ole