Re: Error running parallell

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Error running parallell
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:06:02 +0100

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Stefano Capomaccio
<capemaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> In an Ubuntu system, 14.04, I have the following error launching parallel
> after completing with success the installing procedure:
>
> $ parallel
> parallel: Error: -g has been retired. Use --group.
> parallel: Error: -B has been retired. Use --bf.
> parallel: Error: -T has been retired. Use --tty.
> parallel: Error: -U has been retired. Use --er.
> parallel: Error: -W has been retired. Use --wd.
> parallel: Error: -Y has been retired. Use --shebang.
> parallel: Error: -H has been retired. Use --halt.
> parallel: Error: --tollef has been retired. Use -u -q --arg-sep -- and
> --load for -l.
>
> I have no idea on how to resolve this. In another machine with the same OS I
> had no issues.
> This error occur with the lastest version of parallel as well as other older
> version that I tried to workaround the problem.

You have been hit by
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parallel/+bug/1198096

So what is likely to have happened is the following:

* You have installed an earlier version of GNU Parallel as an Ubuntu package
* This creates the file /etc/parallel/config and put --tollef into that
* You later upgrade to a newer version of GNU Parallel - which no
longer supports --tollef (see:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/parallel/2013-02/msg00018.html)
* but the upgrade does not remove /etc/parallel/config

So most likely you just need to:

* rm /etc/parallel/config
* complain to your package maintainer

/Ole