Re: You all

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: You all
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 19:52:17 +0100

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 10:36:06 +0900
> Mait <mattengi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> bad people because didn't tell me about this crazy tool.  You should spam
>> about this regularly.

Where should it have been shown, so you would have seen it?

> However, if you care about
> GNU parallel, you might be able to donate some money for web advertising
> (Google AdSense/etc.). Will you?

Or even better: do the promoting yourself by locating forums/user
groups/people that could benefit from knowledge about GNU Parallel.

>> I've read tutorial and man page. It could be better if I read tutorial first.
>> Yes, 2500 lines are not convenience. :-) First sentence of`man parallel`
>> could
>> be "Read the tutorial. Don't read me first.".

The reader's guide is the first subtitle in the DESCRIPTION:

   Reader's guide
       Before looking at the options you may want to check out
       the EXAMPLEs after the list of options. That will give
       you an idea of what GNU parallel is capable of.

       You can also watch the intro video for a quick
       introduction:
       http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1

But the reader's guide could clearly include a reference to the tutorial, too.

>> One thing, Why the ****ing '--tollef' is in '/etc/parallela/config' by
>> default? (Ubuntu 13.10) I've lost my two hours wondering why parallela ignore
>> stdin. Is that upstream default?

You are not the first. See:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/parallel/2013-02/msg00018.html

/Ole