Re: sshloginfile in GNU parallel

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: sshloginfile in GNU parallel
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:20:44 +0100

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM, yacob sen <yacob_123@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not understand why you did not specify the "-j" command to show how
> many cores this
> task has to "consume"  on the sample command you have provided in your
> email. i.e,
>
>   cat  $file_name | parallel --sshlogin node_1_server_address --colsep '  '
> program.sh {1} {2}
>
> I expect it to be:
> cat  $file_name | parallel -j12 --sshlogin node_1_server_address --colsep '
> '   program.sh {1} {2}
> or
> cat  $file_name | parallel -j+0 --sshlogin node_1_server_address --colsep '
> '   program.sh {1} {2}

If you had walked through the tutorial, you would have read this:

  By default --jobs is the same as the number of CPU cores.

So I will encourage you to:

* walk through the tutorial
* watch the intro videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1
* read the EXAMPLE section in the man page

Spending a couple of hours on that now will most likely save you time
later, as you will be able to use GNU Parallel much more efficiently
and you will discover more tasks that you can do faster with GNU
Parallel.

/Ole