Re: Conditional execution in GNU Parallel?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Conditional execution in GNU Parallel?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:17:13 +0200

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Karl Ihrig <karl_ihrig@me.com> wrote:
> Hello Ole,
>
> Thank you so much for developing GNU Parallel!  I have been working
> independently and voluntarily trying to develop methods of analysis of genome
> wide association studies.  It really has been too much to handle.  Gnu
> Parallel has helped so much!!!

Thank you. If you like GNU Parallel:

* Give a demo at your local user group/team/colleagues
* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
Identi.ca/Google+/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/mailing lists
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference

If you use GNU Parallel for research:

* Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --bibtex)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

Please use parallel@gnu.org for support (unless you want to hire me).

>  However, I wonder what you think is the best way to avoid repeating
> processing.  Are these the best ways to avoid repeating processing (touching)
> when a target file exists?
>
>         parallel 'ls snps_{1}_{2} || touch snps_{1}_{2}' ::: T1D BD ::: 01 02
> 99
>
>         parallel 'if [ ! -f snps_{1}_{2} ] ; then touch snps_{1}_{2}; fi' :::
> T1D BD ::: 01 02 99
>
> (It seems Makefile prerequisites are inadequate for gnu parallel.)
>
> I am curious if you have a better way?

Have a look at --joblog and --resume.

/Ole