Re: Retiring --tollef

From: Wayne E. Seguin
Subject: Re: Retiring --tollef
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:15:36 -0500

Nuke it.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Ole Tange <tange@gnu.org> wrote:
Some distributions (most recently Ubuntu) seem to enable --tollef by
default without stressing they have done so to their users.

If that caused support issues for the distribution I would not mind,
but it seems users are coming here for support; in which case the bad
decision of the distributions causes extra support burden here.

So I am considering obsoleting --tollef from next release with
scheduled complete retirement of the option one year from next
release.

That would make GNU Parallel backwards incompatible from version
20140222 which is not something I take lightly (the last time this
happened was with the introduction of --xapply in 20110522 causing
multiple ::: to change meaning).

Therefore, dear user, please let your voice be heard:

Do you want to save --tollef (And thus take the extra support)? Or are
you OK with retiring the option?

/Ole

--
  ~Wayne