Re: Combining --pipe and --shebang options

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Combining --pipe and --shebang options
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:53:57 +0100

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Michel Samia
<michel.samia@firma.seznam.cz> wrote:
:
> Thank you very much for the new functionality.

If you like GNU Parallel:

* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
  Identi.ca/Google+/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/mailing lists
* Get the merchandise https://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/merchandise.html
* Give a demo at your local user group
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference (Contact http://ole.tange.dk)

If you use GNU Parallel for research:

* Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --bibtex)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

> Unfortunately I wasn't able
> to reproduce the expected behaviour of this script simple.py
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/parallel --shebang-wrap --pipe -k -j24 /usr/bin/python
> # should work like cat
> import sys
>
> for line in sys.stdin:
>     sys.stdout.write(line)
>
> When I run
>
>     echo 'bla' | ./simple.py
>
> sometimes it hangs and my mouse cursor changes its shape to s cross and
> sometimes it prints error messages:
>
> michel@bellatrix:/tmp$ echo bla | ./simple.py
> ./simple2.py: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `sys.stdout.write'
> ./simple2.py: line 6: `    sys.stdout.write(line)'
>
> which probably means that the script is run by bash, not by Python.

That is odd. I just tried using your exact program on two different
systems (Ubuntu and Debian) and it works for me. That leads me to
believe it is a local problem on your system.

It would be good if others could test your script, too.

On your system please try creating a new user and run the same as the
new user. Hopefully that will give you a clean environment.

/Ole