Re: --resume on jobs with exitval != 0

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: --resume on jobs with exitval != 0
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:51:25 +0100

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Ahmed Kamal
<email.ahmedkamal@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I just found out about parallel, and boy is it awesome!

If you like GNU Parallel:

* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
  Identi.ca/Google+/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/mailing lists
* Get the merchandise https://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/merchandise.html
* Give a demo at your local user group
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference (Contact http://ole.tange.dk)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

> I'm facing some
> small trouble now. I thought --resume worked on jobs that exited on some
> error, but it seems "unfinished job" means a job that didn't have a chance
> to run, rather than one that resulted in an error

Please help rephrase the man page so that this is more clear.

> So my question is, how (easily) to re-run all jobs that had exit val != 0 in
> the joblog file

If you know you want to re-run failing jobs before you start running
then --retries is your friend.

If it is done after you have generated the joblog you will have to
parse the joblog. Something like:

cat joblog | awk -F$'\t' '$7 >0 { print $9 }' | parallel

Don't build your world around that, though: The format of joblog may
be adapted some time in the future.

/Ole